Bad Habits Revealed

So we told you about How we live small to give large in our previous post.  Sounds disciplined and really admirable eh?  Well don’t hold your breath, we have bad habits too.  It’s time to confess!

Someone on Twitter,  not saying  that it’s @Andrewghayes or anyone like that, but he said  just a few minutes ago @GotPassport Acknowledging you have a problem is the first step….”

Well alright,  here we are and here goes!

• Candles this used to be the MAJOR soft spot for Aye.  She LOVES candles.  We still have a few candles left that she bought at a wholesale from our previous home.  Come on, who doesn’t love candles?  Just look at those beautiful pictures below!  We may still need a few in our new RV when we finally return to the states,  but for now,  no more candles for Aye!   Sigh!

• Bakeware Aye loves to dabble in many different things.   Back in 2007 after she left her *yob* of nearly 6 yrs, she decided she was going into baking business which lasted– ummm maybe about a few months.  So during the *Baking Fool* phase she purchased a few silicone bakeware.  Well guess what? we’re selling those on E-bay too.  If you want to buy them from us, leave a comment.  We will let you know when it goes up on E-bay!  🙂

• Aye loves to buy things in bulk and  in a variety of colors.   She loves wraps/pashminas.  During the *pashminas loving fool* phase,  she bought – well just say a few– dozens– from E-bay!  They are going back on E-bay in a few days!!  If you are interested in those, you know what to do!  🙂

• Electronic Gadgets and Cars –  Aye is always wondering what Jack is secretly buying next on E-bay.  There’s always something.   He sold and purchased cars from E-bay a few times.  Nope, No kidding!   That’s how he got this one for Aye.   Ask him about cars he can pretty much talk your ears off! Click here so you’ll see for yourself.

• We are both Book Hoarders but not as bad as the show though, we don’t think.  We’ve never seen it, but  we’re pretty sure we’re not that bad.  We just have way too many books from our college days.  Hmm Maybe we can sell those on E-bay too.   Won’t hurt to try right??

Just for the record, these are not our books. Got the picture from a random site!

Well there you have it.  We are human and we have weaknesses that each of us have to keep the other in check for…. if you know what I mean.    Now that we have definite plans about emptying our home, selling our cars and relocating to Thailand this summer, with a target date, everything has to GO, GO, GO!

“To know you have enough is to be rich” ~Tao Te Ching

What’s your weakness?      What “foolish phases” did you go through?       Are you a hoarder too, willing to confess?

We realize NOT everyone is emptying their house  and going location independent.  So what tricks or tips can you share to not go over the deep end with consuming “Stuff”

Check out our other post about STUFF!

9 comments for “Bad Habits Revealed

1. January 22, 2010 at 15:38

Books are my weakness! I have seven boxes at my parents house. No car anymore, few clothes, few knickknacks…and 7 boxes of books. Even I think I’m a bit ridiculous! 🙂

• GotPassport
      January 23, 2010 at 19:11

Wow that’s a lot of boxes. We have way too many also (mostly text books from school). And Shannon, it is always great to see you here on our blog. Thanks for stopping by! 🙂

2. January 23, 2010 at 18:36

I love candles too! Only because I like playing with fire. And I love reading books as well, but I tend to borrow them from the library instead of buying them. It saves, money, room and the existence of libraries all together.

• GotPassport
      January 23, 2010 at 19:10

we get ours from the library as well. These are just books we’ve accumulated from undergrad and grad school for both of us. Mainly text books and yes, recipe books too! So great to see you here Monica. Thanks for stopping by and giving us your input! 🙂

3. January 24, 2010 at 20:51

Sorry I’m late but a summer riding accident had actually put me out of commission longer than I would have liked.
    I wish you and your family a Happy New Year
    All the best for 2010

• GotPassport
      January 25, 2010 at 18:58

Hey sorry to hear about your accident Baron. Thanks for stopping by again. Thanks for the well wishes… and same to you! 🙂

4. January 27, 2010 at 16:53

I truly admire you guys! Downsizing is never easy! But with a goal like yours…it’s just the natural step to take. How exciting your life will be by summer!!

And you guys are way too fun(ny)! You tell your stories so candidly and with so much positiveness (positivity? -i don’t know which word is the right one). Good luck on all your endeavours! And by the way, I lvoe that quote, “To know you have enough is to be rich.” Definitely good words to live by. After our renovation fiasco this summer, we had the chance to reflect on our life as a family 🙂 We realized also realize how much excess “material things” we have…time to purge and select what we really NEED in life…

-Jen Laceda of Folie a Deux

• GotPassport
      February 1, 2010 at 05:49

Thanks Jen.. honored that you are reading our blog posts. I hope the renovation fiasco has calmed down and life is getting back to normal for you and the family.
      Good to hear you are purging too.. it is not easy but it will be so liberating!

5. February 3, 2010 at 19:23

Glad to see you are human too! I feel like I don’t buy much and yet our house is constantly piling up with things and I take carloads to Goodwill several times per year. Either we get a lot of gifts or I have a multiple personality that goes out and shops without my knowledge! Good luck selling your stuff. I hope it goes quickly!