We Need to Do Better

The movers are coming today, June 17th, at 8am.  It is 1 am in the morning.

Here I sit on the verge of our move from a  home we’ve lived in since Emma was 2 years young.  She’s 7 now and we are taking the biggest leap of our lives, moving to Thailand.

We’ve sold all the big items.  We’ve donated a ton.  Recycled another ton.   And yet,   here I sit in this home with what seems to be another ton of stuff.

I’m sick to my stomach.    I’m guilty.  I’m uncomfortable.  I’m ashamed. Why?  you may wonder!    It’s simple.   If our little family who appears to be quite conscientious about living small and living green, have accumulated this much STUFF,  I have a hard time even  imagining for the rest of the world and those without a conscience.

I just want to cry.  I am overwhelmed and saddened by how mindlessly we have consumed.  Though we have tried our very best to recycle and donate to the needy, we still accumulated a ton of trash that will surely end up in a landfill adding insult to an already damaged Mother Earth.

Forgive us.  We will do better.  We need to do better.  There are NO excuses.

Message to Emma:  Be mindful. Be kind to Mother Earth.

We Say NO to the Status Quo.

Live Small. Live Green.  Give Large.  Take Little.

Take Notice.  Take Action.

0 comments for “We Need to Do Better

1. June 17, 2010 at 12:46

Before I left for my RTW I would have sworn I lived minimally, most of my furniture was hand-me-downs and I didnt shop but I was really surprised how much I accumulated. I wouldnt beat yourself up about it, we can just do better moving forward.

• June 19, 2010 at 11:05

Thanks Ayngelia,

We are indeed moving forward knowing we need to do better. thanks for your comment! 🙂

2. June 18, 2010 at 12:29

I also know how frustrating it can be to think that you are doing so well, but know that you also fall into the trap of so much *stuff.* As Ayngelina said though, we can all only try to do better going forward. One step I’ve taken to eliminate clutter is to stop giving gifts – even to my niece and nephews. Now for Christmas and Birthdays either I pick, or I let them pick, an *experience* they would like and we do that – I can’t stop my parents from buying them crap, but it helps me feel better – I even used this tactic at a wedding I went to last week – I am buying them an experience on their honeymoon!

• June 19, 2010 at 11:04

We have stopped giving material gifts as well. It’s not easy though Emma having 5 cousins when they are still insisting on gifts. we prefer NOT. Once we asked Em what she is taking for someone’ bday she replied “ME I am the gift. I will be at the birthday party!” I thought it was brilliant.

Yes, we are moving forward knowing we need to do better. It’s a good feeling having an empty house and soon just suitcases away from “STUFF!”

Thanks Shannon for stopping by.

3. EarthGipsy
    June 22, 2010 at 03:29

Amazing how it builds up, despite our best intentions.
    Good luck with moving your little family, I’m very much looking forward to following your adventures.

4. EarthGipsy
    June 22, 2010 at 03:31

Amazing how it builds up, despite our best intentions.
    Good luck with your move. I’m looking forward to following your adventures.

5. June 28, 2010 at 11:56

I experienced the same thing recently when I decided to get rid of most of my stuff in favor of a minimalist lifestyle. I think accumulating stuff, no matter how much you monitor, is inevitable. It’s just a matter of auditing your stuff every so often.