I LOVE Salads No Matter Where I Go!

We’ve been in Vientiane for 2 days.  This is our second time here.  Since J has to do a visa run anyway, we decided we’ll make these  short holiday jaunts to Laos.  Our goal was to come in Thursday, get to the consulate office,  apply for visa then off to Luang Prabang on Friday afternoon.  Well, that plan did not work out too well.  And we’re here until Monday.

Since we’re here might as well EAT and eat well, eh?  Last night, we ate Indian food at Fathima Indian and Malaysian Restaurant along the river and it was delicious.   Best Indian food we’ve had since arriving to Asia since last July.  (For the record,

I’m not saying I’ve had the best Indian food ever in Laos!) The sauces, oh the spicy sauces — so good my taste buds exploded.   Dishes were simple, but gooooood!

Today, I had my first salad here in Vientiane (Last time I had a salad here, I met my match.. I was in TEARS!) .

Here’s a picture of my salad!  Based on this picture, can you guess what’s in this salad?

Ingredients in this salad are simple!

Thin rice noodles, cabbage, morning glory, tomatoes, kumquats, garlic,  lime, fish sauce and fried onions.

After a hot afternoon at That Luang, we decided it was time for us to look for some grub. That’s not very hard to do here in Vientiane. While Ms. M and her Daddy tried out some pizza at ‘Swedish Pizza and Baking House’, I decided to go next door for some Lao food.   I heard the pizza was good and we’re using their wifi to write this post.  So I guess it was worth 68k kip???

I was happy with my fried sweet potatoes and rice noodle salad.  All for a total of 12k kip – that’s less than 2 dollars.  Great deal, eh?  And my theory holds true that you can put just about anything fresh in a salad or that you can make a salad out of anything.

Why do I get the feeling that this will turn into a series?

I did so good with lunch and I worked so hard on this post, I decided to reward  myself with this for 17k kip!  Ummmmmm!

Now I just need some Akha Ama coffee to go with it.  🙂

0 comments for “I LOVE Salads No Matter Where I Go!

1. February 11, 2011 at 18:02

I loved that Swedish place. Not sure what was Swedish about it though other than probably the owner. There is also a nice Turkish place in town. “The Only Turkish Restaurant in Laos” I believe that.

2. February 11, 2011 at 18:31

I’m not sure if you guys are veggies are not, but there is a seriously amazing steak place on Nam Phu square with the fountain. it’s on the left as you face the library, and it has outside grill affairs and a french name. seriously, some of the best steaks in asia — they come with a choice of sauces, baked potato and french-style green salad.

And the Scandinavian Bakery has cakes to die for!

3. February 11, 2011 at 19:41

VTE has good eats!

4. deltalect
    February 12, 2011 at 06:28

If you are looking for excellent Indian Food in Chiang Mai I recommend Spicy Bollywood. When we lived in Chiang Mai it was a weekly trek with friends.

Also when we were in Vientiane we fell in love with Joma coffee. The food, service and vibe were excellent for a breakfast, lunch or after dinner coffee.

• February 12, 2011 at 11:36

Hi there.. thank you for the suggestions. We’re familiar w/ Spicy Bollywood. Glad you enjoyed their food as well. Also, we hung out at Joma the last time we were in Vientiane. Decided to try something different this time. So many nice cafes here in Vientiane eh?

5. February 13, 2011 at 00:26

Well here goes. i guess that there is cabbage, cherry tomatoes, bean shoots, sesame seeds, bok choy, cucumber and maybe a sweet soy, fish saucey chilly dressing – how did I do???

6. February 18, 2011 at 05:00

Always get salads when on vacation as they are the best bet to keeping you healthy no matter where you go on vacation

7. March 9, 2011 at 11:20

I’m the same way — always looking for a good salad no matter where I am. (You will not find many in Panama, by the way.)

8. Iran Travel Guide
    March 17, 2011 at 02:37

Salads are the safest healthiest things to eat when you’re traveling. For a vegetarian like me, they make some of the best meals sometimes.

in most of the cases, there’s no meat in it to be worried about the ingredients.

Rahman Mehraby